Taking Good Care of your Legs
Getting older reduces the efficiency of your circulation system generally, making you more prone to varicose veins.
Heredity can also be a factor. Like ageing, this is something you can do nothing about but that's all the more reason to take precautions.
How can you prevent varicose veins?DO:
- Move your legs and feet around if you have to stand or sit for long periods every day as these small movements allow your calf muscles to assist the circulation in your legs.
- Keep fit. Walking and taking regular exercise keeps your circulation system healthy.
- Eat a balanced diet and watch your weight to avoid putting unnecessary strain on your heart.
- Moisturise your legs regularly because very dry skin can accelerate the formation of varicose veins.
- Put your feet up. Not having to pump blood upwards against gravity gives your circulation system a well-earned rest.
- Avoid knocks and grazes by protecting your legs if these are liable to occur.
- Start wearing graduated compression hosiery, which helps your body's natural blood circulation system.
- Sit with your legs crossed, as this can constrict blood flow.
- Wear stockings or socks with a tight band at the top, or a panty girdle that cuts into the thigh.
- Wear high heels all the time (or shoes that are too tight) as these restrict circulation.
- Expose your legs to excessive heat as this dilates the blood vessels.
- Avoid getting them sunburned or soaking them in very hot baths.
- Smoke, eat too many fatty foods or drink too much tea,
coffee or alcohol as all these substances are bad for your blood pressure.
Article LinksSee other medical related articles:
- About Futuro: Support Hosiery
- About Mediven Compression Stockings
- About T.E.D. Anti-embolism Stockings
- Compression Classes for Graduated Compression Hosiery
- Prevention of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Skin Breakdown and TED Stockings
- Taking good care of your legs
- TED Stockings: Proven DVT reduction through published peer reviewed clinical studies
- Tips and Tricks for Healthy Legs
- Veins of the Leg
- When a blood clot forms in the leg ... (.jpg, 119Kb) The Sunday Times, 30 December 2001
- CE Marking (European Medical Device Directive 93/42/CEE)